Friday, September 7, 2012

Affordable Health Care

Today I'm going to discuss the Affordable Health Care Act, or Obamacare, whichever name you chose.  I'm not going to go all policy wonk on you; yes, the bill is long and complicated but what I'm going to do is breakdown what it means to me and my extended family.

I am on Social Security Disability with this I get Medicare.  Were I not on Disability I would not be able to get insurance because I have a pre-existing condition, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. Were I to be able to get insurance, the cost would be prohibitive and they wouldn't cover my pre-existing which is why I need the insurance in the first place.

Everyone on Medicare knows about the infamous donut hole. I won't get into the arithmetic but only the bottom line.  If you take multiple medications, (I do), and some of them are not generic, (some of mine are not) you can fall into the Medicare donut hole as early as April in any given year.  After that date, according to your medicare insurance, you would have to pay full price on your medication.  This would cost me upwards of $2,000.

Obamacare would eliminate the donut hole.

My grandson attends Penn State and has a 3.5 average with a full time job. His job, although full-time, does not offer health insurance.  Thanks to Obamacare he is covered under his parents policy until he is 26 years old.  Since he plans to go on to law school this is a blessing.

With the proposed Medicare Voucher system, I could not be covered by insurance.  My grandson, without the ACA would not be covered by insurance and would have to rely on the Emergency Room for care.

This is how the ACA has benefited my family RIGHT NOW.  It will do more for us in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment